Ken Griffey Jr. Tribute

With Ken Griffey Jr. heading back to his old stomping grounds, you can expect a lot of renewed interest in his rookie cards and not just the Upper Deck release.

These days, the Topps Tiffany releases outsell the ’89 Upper Deck 9 out of 10 times. Just have a look at this graded GEM MINT copy of a 1989 Bowman Ken Griffey Jr. that sold for just under one thousand dollars.

You won’t find prices anywhere close to that with the famous Upper Deck rookie card unless it’s in perfect condition like this one, which sold for big money not too long ago.

As a tribute to one of the game’s greatest of all-time, Ken Griffey Jr., I have created a pictorial guide to every single release of 1989 which featured “The Kid”.

If I left any out, please let me know.

1989 Bowman (and Bowman Tiffany)

1989 Donruss

1989 Fleer (and Fleer Glossy)

1989 Upper Deck

OTHER RELEASES

1989 Classic

1989 Donruss ‘Baseball’s Best’

1989 Donruss ‘The Rookies’

1989 Moeller High School

1989 Mother’s Cookies

1989 Score ‘Scoremasters’

1989 Score ‘Young Superstars’

1989 Score Traded

1989 Star

1989 Starting Line-Up

1989 Topps Rookies

1989 Topps Traded (and Topps Traded Tiffany)

Filed in: The Archive Tags: , , , , , , , ,

No Responses to "Ken Griffey Jr. Tribute"

1. Mike says:

Cool stuff Mario. Is it me or were most of the card photos of AL players taken in Oakland? You can always see that old green and yellow topped dugout and the orange seats in the background.

2. gcrl says:

I think there was anothe 89 Bowman card with Jr. It may have been his dad’s card.

3. David says:

I have the regular Topps Jr Rookie. What is the diffrence between that and the Tiffany version. I always wondered about that.

4. Gellman says:

regular = cardboard
    tiffany = shiny cardboard

Im not sure what all of the fuss is about with Griffey as a FA. If this was 10 years ago it would be different. Right now he is just an old, slow, injury prone OF who cant hit anymore.

5. the drizz says:

great cards! i love it cuz it parallels my sheffield rc collection. jr. got hosed though, he didn’t have an 89 topps BIG card or an 89 sportflics!

6. nyhitman23 says:

1989 Topps Rookies, wasn’t that card actually released in 1990?

7. Shawn says:

I remember being in Seattle as a kid around 1996 and seeing a Griffey mural with a home run tally on the side of a building, think it was a Nike ad. The idea of Griffey going back to Seattle is cool for nostalgic reasons, and it will be awesome if he has any type of solid season.

Awesome gallery.

8. Cliff says:

I think nyhitman23 is right about that 1989 Topps Rookies. Check the copyright on the back. Picky picky, I know. The Tiffany cards are identical to the regular cards except they were printed in white card stock and have a glossy finish.

9. the drizz says:

know whats funny is that sheffield has one of those glossy “rookies” cards from the 89 set, and it says 1988. but then in 1990 he has another “rookies” card the says 1989. typical topps, thats why i love ‘em.

10. JT says:

My favorites are the Score Young Superstars and the Bowman.

I think it’s cool to show how *few* 1989 releases Griffey had, despite being one of the hottest names in the hobby. There weren’t 15 sets mass produced by every company back in the good ol’ days.

11. JT says:

gcrl is right, there is another Griffey in the Bowman set, a father/son deal. The Alomars and Stottlemeyers had similar cards also.

12. Simonsdaddy says:

The Ripken’s had a card too

13. 70 - 80 Topps Kid says:

600+ homers and we’re bored with “The Kid”. Tough crowd. Not sure if you are old enough to remember, but Mantle started the early 80′s craze of baseball cards and Griffey jr, exploded it at the end of the 80′s. Then the greed ruined the hobby. I guess if he wasn’t injury prone, he would have broken every offensive record in the book. Just remember, he did it without juice or HGH. He played the outfield like a madman never worrying about his well-being. Had the sweetest swing, I ever saw. Best natural player I ever saw. I dont mind the bust of the injury. More stuff I can buy affordably. But over 1 million 89 UD factory sets produced plus foil boxes and this makes me think, the set will be $10 someday soon. Cool, then all collectors can own one easily.