When Upper Deck ruled The Hobby

Last night I featured Pinnacle’s genius idea of having a super model photograph athletes for a major set. Today I am spotlighting a much more accomplished and experienced photographer that worked with Upper Deck in the early-90′s. His name is Walter Iooss and let’s just say he knew what he was doing.

In 1993, Upper Deck produced ‘The Upper Deck Iooss Collection’ as a 27-card insert set. Along with each base card, there was a Jumbo version limited to just 10,000 copies and even certified autographed versions sold exclusively through the Upper Deck Authenticated business.

Along with the insane-looking “Big Mac” you see featured below, the insert set also included Jeff Bagwell, Ozzie Smith, Albert Belle, Nolan Ryan, Frank Thomas and many more stars of the 80′s and 90′s. You can view some more images of the Iooss Collection HERE.

By the mid-90′s, Upper Deck replaced Iooss with V.J. Lovero.

Filed in: The Archive Tags: , , , , , , ,

No Responses to "When Upper Deck ruled The Hobby"

1. Groat says:

I believe I actually had that McGuire card mounted in one of those card plaques that seemed like a good idea in the early ’90s.

2. mfw13 says:

Iooss has always been a great baseball photographer, but ironically the photo that made him a household name was his football photo of “the Catch” from the 49ers-Cowboys NFC Championship Game in 1981.

3. Mark Aubrey says:

There was also a “Supers” set of these cards. 3-1/2″ x 5″. They were also limited to a 10,000 print run.

4. Cliff says:

I bought the whole set at a card show last fall for $3.00. I’m real happy with it. Every card has a great photo. On the back Iooss explains how the shot was composed.

5. night owl says:

The Ken Griffey Jr. card in the set is one of my all-time favorites.

6. Ross says:

I think I have the wizards card from that set somewhere… ill have to see if i can find it.

7. jl says:

What these cards symbolize is when a young and up coming company cares what there product looks like. This is when 4 companies were in competion for collectors, and you had Leaf coming in with crazy inserts. But as time went on UD cemented themself as the collectors choice and the rest is history.

8. Bryan says:

The 1989 UD Mark McGwire is one of the best looking baseball cards I’ve ever seen. With Topps and UD focusing on relics, autos and producing 100 serts per year, quality photography has really taken a back seat.

9. milwaukeeb says:

This takes me back. I pulled the Howard Johnson once at a gas station when I was 11 and nearly had a fit.